About Me

My photo
On the bright side of the road
Lover of the written word, always writing and dreaming of that coveted book deal.

Sunday, 13 March 2011

My Butterfly Mind

I'm in love with writing.  Everything about it is delightful.  And I love to read.  Read words so cleverly composed that they trickle and gel to create a watercolour that undulates and flows, flirting with my emotions and shamelessly seducing my senses.  Words are magical and intoxicating, frivolous and deep.  Words can be what you want them to be.  Pain and anguish or light and free.  The writer chooses the words and their order, it is for the reader to plunge into those words and to be carried by the stream.

I’m in love with writing.  I love to write short stories and epic adventures, articles and reviews.  My mind flutters over each idea and, as a butterfly gently drinks from a daisy only to be distracted by the black-eyed Susan and the columbine, I drift between my characters and their stories, changing tack in the breeze, never staying too long but always moving on.  Of course, this flighty activity means I rarely finish a project.  I have pages of works in progress or finished bar the final edit, but another character will call, claiming ownership on my limited time and my fluttering mind.

I’m in love with writing.  Everything about it is delightful:  from conversing with my characters to dreaming up plots.  I fall in love with my creations, argue with them and cry.  But I never stay too long for other characters await the brush of my mental wings.

I’m in love with writing.  A clean piece of paper and an ink pen seduce.  The virginal sheet sits patiently waiting, the ink pen poised ready to leave its mark.  The fusion of the two can create a beautiful piece of prose or something dark and sinister.  It is for me to decide.  I submit to the fluttering in my mind and let the thoughts take control of the tool.  They tumble out onto the page, trembling and deliberating, gaining confidence and gelling, creating a union so tight I feel heady.

At last the beating wings are spent and for a while my mind is still.  But soon a character will call and the wings softly stir.  I’m in love with writing.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! As I'm getting to know you, Jane, I think that you are as in love with life as you are in writing and I cannot wait to see your synopsis, and later your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stu - you know, I'd never looked at it that way but I think you're right....there's a lot to love about life which is perhaps why I'm in love with writing - a way to connect. I hope you're not disappointed with the synopsis - it's looking a bit lame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,
    Truely lyrical prose, I must admit. But do you really write on a piece of paper or on comp? I use paper only when I don't have access to my comp.

    You seem to suggest that you stray from the plot a little while writing which is a good enrichment of the plot sometimes, but too much of it may put off the reader, I think. But I'm sure you know how to handle that. Have you heard of Orhan Pamuk, the Nobel Prize winning writer from Turkey? He has written a book - The naive and the sentimental reader - on novels and readers. It tells lot on plot handling and it's an interesting read.

    Take care and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Indra
    Thank you for your tips....yes my mind has a habit of wandering....hence it's taking me far too long to edit my novel and to produce a synopsis for my friends to critique!

    I'm lucky in that I can use pen and paper or a computer - just depends on my butterfly frame of mind!

    Hope you got your rent man sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just dropped by to see if there was a new post. I'm giving rent to that jeweller; although he is not the actual owner, he is paying the bank to acquire the property.

    ReplyDelete