About Me

My photo
On the bright side of the road
Lover of words. Usually found with a book or a pen in my hand.

Thursday, 28 April 2011

Spot the Seashells?

I'm back!  Returned safe and sound!  Not quite back to normality yet (no return to the day-job till Tuesday) and still very much in holiday mode, even though I've come back to an avalanche of laundry, the house to clean, garden to weed, bills to pay, etc, etc.

I had a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed my camping experience, even though I only slept for a total of four hours on the first night for fear that the tent would blow away!  The second night was much better as I was exhausted and not even a hurricane would have awakened me from my slumber.  And now I sit here, at my computer, yearning to get back to my novel but with one niggling question.  Where were all the seashells?

It has been some years since I visited the Isle of Wight and I'm really pleased that I decided to pay a brief visit while working on my novel.  You see, my title is The Book of Shells and one of my main characters is an avid collector of seashells.  Such a lovely and rewarding hobby.  And yet, I found just one seashell during my visit (that is, excluding ones found for sale in gift shops).  So where are all the seashells?  Did my character collect them all thus leaving none for modern day visitors?  All the beaches I visited comprised sand, pebbles and shingle.  The Book of Shingle?  or The Book of Pebbles?  Mmm - not quite the same, is it?

On the plus side, the library at Newport had quite a healthy collection of local history books and I have pages of notes that will help me with the background.

But the seashells?  It's a conundrum I shall have to solve.  So it's back to plotting before I can really get into the writing.  Wish me luck.

NB - If anyone has any ideas on how to get around the absence of seashells, I'd be interested to hear.  One kind person has offered:  The Book of Shell-Suits - I'm relieved to say that I didn't see one single shell-suit on the island either!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janie,
    Not sure how you will get around that problem of seashells because even here in India the beaches are devoid of them, but nice to see you had a good holiday. I also came back from one yesterday; it's a refreshment you require from time to time, but wish it came without the load of work one meets upon return. I will be struggling at work this week. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Indra, I never thought about seashells in India - I thought they were found all over the world. It just goes to show how the little things can discredit your work. I too am struggling this week - just wish I could afford to give up the day job and concentrate on writing!

    ReplyDelete