About Me

My photo
On the bright side of the road
Lover of the written word, always writing and dreaming of that coveted book deal.

Saturday, 30 July 2016

Days like these



I'm really chuffed that I recently won Ad Hoc Fiction's (http://adhocfiction.com/) weekly competition - voted for by readers. I love Ad Hoc Fiction and look forward to reading and voting each week. Each week a new 'key word' is given and I'm always wowed by the diversity of the stories - gosh, how that word sparks imagination in so many different ways.


The key word for my winning entry was fold - I hope you like it:



The cloth of my life is purple. Each morning when I wake it waits for me. On good days I wear it lightly; a cape woven from the finest Merino wool patterned with innocuous swirls and swoops. If I am lucky, the cloth will remain soft but those days are rare. Each fold traps the day’s stresses within and the pattern becomes an angry jangling mosaic of migraine and despair. On bad days the cloth swells into a huge greatcoat, sopping with troubles that hold me tight and I breathe shallowly, desperately, longing for the day to end.

 
I dream of leaving this loathsome purple cloth behind. I will no longer carry the weight of daughter, sister, wife, mother: the tags that define my life. One day, just for a while, I will wear peach: cobweb light and butterfly free. One day I will return to me.






2 comments:

  1. I love this - I can so identify with the life-defining tags. When I shed the purple I shall be iridescent shades of turquoise and blue...I must revisit Ad Hoc - not been there for ages! Congratulations on the win :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I'm glad you liked it. I love the colours that are truly 'you' - beautiful. Hope to see you over at Ad Hoc Fiction :o)

      Delete